Tonight it was announced that Facebook chat now supports XMPP (also known as Jabber). This means that it will work with a host of chat clients, including my personal favourite iChat.
To get it working with iChat you simply follow these steps:
- Navigate to iChat > Preferences > Accounts
- Click the plus icon in the bottom left hand corner, to add a new account
- Select Jabber as the Account Type
- Enter email@example.com in the Account Name (where username is your facebook username).
- Enter your facebook password in the password box.
And that’s it!
Facebook has some instructions on how to set up other popular clients here.