In February of this year we invested in a startup called Furnish.co.uk, and I’m pleased to say that as of yesterday they have now gone live with their sleek new website.
Furnish.co.uk, as it’s name suggests, is a new way to find and buy luxury home furniture online. The site acts as a shop window for a variety of boutique stores and exclusive designers, allowing you to compare a huge range of options in one place. So if you were decorating a new bedroom, and wanted to find the perfect bedside lamp, Furnish.co.uk would let you drill down to the exact style you wanted – you can filter by price, colour, material, and size.
Furnish is aimed at the mid to high end of the furniture market and includes products you won’t typically find in the major high street retailers. They are adding more products every day, and hope to include over 100 stores over the course of the next few months, so keep checking back!
Today I have been attempting to set up Google Calendar so that it automatically synchronises with an iPhone and also iCal on a Mac computers. It was a bit trickier than I expected, so here are some of my observations. Hopefully they will help someone else!
Here are some of the main things you need to remember to do:
- Make sure you have enabled Google sync for mobiles in your Google Apps account. From your Google Apps Dashboard, click the Mobile link. Then tick the Enable Google Sync box on the next page and press save.
- Set up Google Sync on your iPhone to sync calendars and contacts from Google. Basically you just add a Microsoft Exchange account with your google apps login details, and then select calendars and contacts in the syncing options.
- You must also choose which calendars you want to sync to your iPhone via the Google Mobile website. Visit http://m.google.com in Safari on your iPhone.
You can set up iCal to subscribe to your Google Calendars via a caldav url. First you add a new account under preferences, and then under the delegation tab you select the calendars you wish to subscribe to.
Sharing Google Calendars
You can share a calendar with other users in your google apps domain, or external users on other domains. There are various ways to do this such as sending a link to the ical url or sending an invite within the calendar sharing pages on the Google Calendar website.
If you are an iPhone developer and have been running one of the beta versions of the 3.0 firmware then you might find that iTunes will not update you to the latest official 3.0 release, as it already thinks you are using the most recent version.
It’s taken me a while, but I’ve finally found out how to do it!
NB: Before you do anything, make sure you have backed up your phone in case something goes wrong!
- Download the latest firmware directly from Apple’s Content Delivery Network:
- The file may have a .zip extension, if so remove this by renaming the file so that it ends with .ipsw
- Open up iTunes, and Option-Click the restore button. You should then select the ipsw file you downloaded.
- Follow the on-screen instructions as it upgrades your firmware.
Warning – do this at your own risk. It may break your phone.